Monday, June 21, 2010

The grass is always greener...

It was a cosy morning here this morning. School work was well underway, the baby was asleep, and I was feeling good. But I suddenly realised it was too quiet. The Dog had stopped whining to come inside. Ugh! One quick check and I saw that he had pulled the gate open. Again. And had gone. Again. The second time in a week.

But I know this canine. He is predictable. So I load the kids in the car and we go around the block to the gate to the farmland which is behind our back fence. A guy yells over to me "Are you looking for your spaniel?" I knew it. I'm good! Sure enough I look across the paddocks and there is The Dog. Right behind our fence. Literally. Except he is on the wrong side of the fence. It's not our side. I yell after him. He doesn't hear (apparently) and runs towards the park. I get in the car and make it to the end of the road before him. I get out of the car and yell "You crank!" He runs toward me with joy and exhuberance, and leaps at me almost knocking me over with his love. He then looks at me accusingly, like it was me that opened the gate and left him alone in the big wide world!!

As I drive home with The Dog riding shotgun, I realise that he and I are much the same. He wanted what was over the fence. Even though he has a good home and many hands ready to rub his round belly he still wasn't satisfied. He wanted to be on the other side of the fence, the side where the grass is greener.... He was anticipating adventure, fun and food.What he had forgotten from - oh FIVE days ago!! - was that over the fence was mud and puddles. He hates being wet and dirty. And he hates being 'lost'. 
I too at times look longingly over the fence. I see fun, adventure and ...uh... fun! But I don't live my life on the other side of the fence. I am on 'this side' - the side my husband calls 'the fun side'. This looking 'over the fence' is what causes discontentment. Wishing that life was something different. Thinking it would be better "if only....." But my friends, THIS is the life that we live. The one that you and I are in right now. Sure there is nothing wrong with moving ahead, making plans, making changes. But what if the things that we are working towards/desiring don't come to fruition? Will we still be content? Will our hearts still be joyful? That's the heart of the matter.

"For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." (Phil 4:11). Contentment is not a feeling. It's a learned behaviour. Want to know how? Keep reading Pauls next words. Verse 13 is our secret to contentment. Let's not keep it a secret any longer. Let's spread the word. The grass isn't greener. And we can do all things through Him who gives us strength.

Oh and The Dog? Asleep on the couch in front of the fire. Content - for now.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly! I guess we all feel that way from time to time. Thanks for the reminder....we are where we belong. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete