We just had a wonderful 4 days with my parents staying. It was the first time my dad has been to our house and as he is already talking about coming back I think he enjoyed it!! While the accident has been a terrible thing, one very positive thing is that Dad now has more time on his hands to come and visit us while my brothers run the logging gang. Yay us!!
Am I the only one who feels sick when handing over the cash for the groceries? I mean seriously, is it just me or is the purchasing of good food becoming the rights of those in the exclusive 'earn bucket loads of money' club? Anyway, I, being not one to weep and wail in the face of a challenge, am out to deal seriously with the budget busting issue of mealtimes! So I am gathering a list of our favourite budget loving meals and thought I would share tonights offering with you. It's a goodie and a cheapie!
Salmon and rice bake
(This feeds us 2 adults and 3 kids... all kids ask for and get seconds)
- 40 grams (or whatever) of butter
- curry powder to taste
- 2 T lemon juice (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2 T flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 T fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 tin of 210g salmon, drained (these are often on sale for around $2.60)
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- cheese for grating over top
1. Melt butter in med size pot on stove top
2. Stir in flour and curry powder and cook for one minute
3. Add milk, stir until smooth
4. Add lemon juice and parsley
5. Beat one egg and stir into mixture
6. Add salmon
Making the rice shell
1. Add an egg to the cooked rice and stir in thoroughly
2. Tip rice into a quiche dish and push down with a fork to cover the base and allow some to form a small wall up the sides
Pour the salmon mixture into the rice shell. Grate cheese over top. Cook in oven at 180 degrees for 20-30 minutes or in the microwave for 7 minutes. This is a good one for making early in the day and heating later. Serve with crunchy bread, and salad or vege. Yum!